War Memorial Library
Using the Library:
- Year 7 to 11 students may borrow up to four books for two weeks.
- Sixth Form students may borrow up to six books for two weeks and
- DVDs can be borrowed for two days.
- Loans can be renewed at the circulation desk if needed them for a longer period.
- The library has over 15,000 books, 3,000 fiction 12,000 non-fiction.
- 1 dedicated library catalogue computer ( although you can access the library catalogue from any computer in school by clicking the library menu, then Heritage catalogue)
- 19 networked computers providing internet access.
- Magazines such as BBC Wildlife, History and Focus.
- 20 journals supporting the curriculum for A level and GCSE such as the Economic Review, New Scientist, Biological Sciences.
- DVD collection which can be borrowed for free on a 2 day loan. Dedicated lecture DVDs are now part of our collection alongside literary adaptations, documentaries biographies and historical.
- The Careers library contains information on careers, gap years, job applications and CVs. We also stock prospectuses from every university in the UK, and specialist books on how to get into Medical school, Oxbridge and advice on taking professional exams such as the LNAT for Law. At the career library, we also give guidance on A-level.
- The library runs a reading group in conjunction with the English Department. We participate in the Maidstone Area Book Awards with several other local schools.
- We take part in a regional book quiz competition called Kids’ Lit Quiz.
During extended learning week the library has offered activities based on Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter
Recommended Reading lists:
Ebooks and Digital Audiobooks:
We encourage the use of digital resources in the library and recommend the Kent libraries website. They have a huge range of e books and audio books to download which is free to all Kent library users. These resources can be downloaded onto the overdrive app which is compatible with a huge range of mobile tablets, e-readers, PCs and other devices. Click on the link below for more info or to access their catalogue.
www.readingmatters.co.uk | Book Reviews. Offers a 'book chooser'
www.childrensbooksequels.co.uk | Book Lists
www.ckg.org.uk | Carnegie and Greenaway Book Awards
If you have a Kent library card you can access a huge range of journals and online resources using the Kent library website listed below.
- UCAS Homepage | Track your progress online.
- Times Online | News and Views from The Times and Sunday Times | Use the search function to access articles from the last ten years.
- Google Scholar | Save time by only searching for academic sources.
- http://news.google.co.uk | By using advanced search techniques you can search by dates and publications to find specific news stories or articles.
- BFI | Home | British Film institute search for clips and events.
- Poetry Archive | Poets reading their own work.
- Browse all Topic Guides - New Scientist
- BBC - Learning | Useful links, video clips, games and information.