Design & Technology
Design and Technology is about making things that people want and that work well. Creating these things is hugely exciting: it is an inventive, fun activity.
- James Dyson
The Design and Technology department at Maidstone Grammar School aim to provide a creative and supportive environment to enable the development of key design and practical based skills. Our exceptionally equipped workshops allow high levels of work to be produced at all levels within the school. We allow our students to develop a high level of understanding of technical processes and material properties in order to design products that meet user needs.
We teach a broad range of projects at KS3 designed to give students a decent grounding in key workshop and design techniques, including a scheme of work in Food Life Skills. At KS4 and KS5 the subject is not compulsory, but remains very popular, building on skills learnt in the earlier years. Many of our A level students go on to study design or engineering based courses at university or go into apprenticeships.
|Mr J F W Willmott||Head of Department|
|Mr M Hall||Teacher of Design and Technology|
|Mr G Friend||Full Time Technician|
|Ms L Morton||Food Technician|
Design and technology should be the subject where mathematical brainboxes and science whizzkids turn their bright ideas into useful products.
- James Dyson
Independent Learning is essential to all subjects, but the breadth of knowledge and the insight into the design of everyday products is essential. This list is by no means exhaustive, and students are encouraged to look into areas in which they are particularly interested in more detail than is included here.
We encourage the gaining of knowledge through as many channels as possible, including books, DVDs, investigating existing products and through looking at materials.
We have a large range of experience among the teaching and support staff in the department, and if you have an exciting project you are thinking about, or are in the middle of, you are bound to find advice and opinions forthcoming from us. We are all passionate about Design and Technology and each have our own specialities, I hope we can inspire you to find yours.
Books – most of these are in the library, go and have a browse, there are many many more! :
- Contemporary Design – C McDermott , published by the Design Museum
- Making it – C Lefteri
- What is Product Design – Laura Slack
- Materials for Inspirational design – C Lefteri
- Process: 50 designs from concept to manufacture – J Hudson
- Century of Design – P Sparke
- The Best tables chairs lights – M Byars
- Designing and Making Wooden Toys – T Kelly
- Whirligigs and weathervanes
- Eco design handbook – A Fuad-Luke
- Good wood guide – Jackson and Day
- Modern Chairs – C&P Fiell
- Essential William Morris – Zakzek
- The Way things work – D Macaulay
- Bridges that changed the world
- From fail to win: Military and government technology
- From fail to win: Bridges and Structures
- Ergonomics – K Murrell
- The Design of Everyday Things – D Norman
Places to Visit:
- Design Museum
- Victoria and Albert Museum