New to MGS (Induction)
To help you with your transition from primary into secondary school we have created this page so you can feel more at home with your surroundings; even before you arrive here we will post helpful information, maps and help from our Year 8 students that may help you settle in at MGS.
Preparing for the School day:
- Get up in plenty of time.
- Know what time you have to leave the house to get to the bus stop or to school on time.
- If you travel to school by bus, make sure you know the bus numbers and times.
- Be in the right place at the right time at the end of school.
- Go straight home. If you are going to stay late after school, make sure someone knows.
- Know what to do if you are delayed. Have a contact telephone number with you.
- Know the school rules regarding uniform. The full school uniform is printed in your planner.
- Make sure everything is ready to put on the evening before.
- Make sure a full PE kit is taken to school on the days it is needed.
- Label all items of clothing with your name and form.
During the School day:
- Know what lessons take place on a particular day. You will have a copy of your timetable in your school planner.
- Have another copy of your timetable in a communal place, such as on the kitchen notice board, so everyone knows your timetable.
- Know where the classroom for each lesson is. If you get lost, ask someone.
- Know who the teacher is.
- Get to lessons on time - especially after breaks.
Preparing for Lessons and Homework:
- Have a good system for keeping books and equipment.
- Pack your bag the night before.
- Know what lessons there are on a particular day.
- Know what equipment is needed for each lesson (e.g.. ruler, compass, calculator for maths).
- Use your planner to write down important notes and messages.
- Have your bag packed with everything needed for that day.
- Store books, that are not needed, in your locker.
- Use a cartridge pen with washable ink, try to avoid using a biro
- Write down all homework in your planner, including the hand in date.
- Write down your homework in lessons (write exactly what you have to do).
- Ask if you are not sure what the task means and check with the teacher if you are not sure what to do.
- Make sure you bring home everything needed to do the homework.
- When you get home, use your planner to remind you of what you have to do.
- Work by yourself to complete tasks, spending the correct amount of time on each homework.
- Ask for help if it is difficult or you don't understand something.
- Tick the 'done' column in your planner when completed.
- Take your completed homework to school on the correct day.
- Remembering to give it in!
- Try to do homework on the night it is set - not the night before it is due in (you may get three other homework on that night!)
Timetable of School Day:
TIMINGS OF THE SCHOOL DAY
|08.50||Period 1||08.50 – 09.50|
|09.55||Period 2||09.55 – 10.55|
|10.55||Morning break||10.55 – 11.15|
|11.20||Period 3||11.20 – 12.20|
|12.20||Period 4||12.20 – 13.20|
|13.20||Lunch||13.20 – 14.00|
|14.00||Registration, Tutor & Assembly time|
|14.20||Period 5||14.20 – 15.20|