Lower School

Lower School (Years 7 to 10) is overseen by Mrs J Sewell, Deputy Headteacher and Miss R Johnson, Assistant Headteacher

Key Stage 3

Key Stage 3 is the first part of the National Curriculum for secondary school. At MGS Key Stage 3 is completed in Years 7 and 8.

As in primary school the most important subjects remain English, Maths and Science. However a wide range of other subjects are also studied. All pupils will take Art, Computer Studies, Design Technology, Geography, History, Performing Arts (Dramas and Music), Physical Education and , Religious Studies.

The timetable, which runs on a ten day cycle, also includes Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education where staff  introduce pupils to a wide range of issues such as study skills, the requirements of good citizenship, relationships and substance abuse. Sex Education is an important part of this programme. Assemblies and tutor time also form part of a pupil’s wider education.

During Year 8 pupils are guided towards an appropriate programme of study at GCSE which they will take over three years. .

The Learning Managers work closely with form tutors, other members of the Student Services Department, subject teachers, parents and if necessary professionals from outside agencies to monitor pupils’ progress and to help them with any problems that they encounter. The form tutor is your point of contact and can be contacted by letter, School Planner, email or telephone.

The Learning Managers

Mr M Hall

Learning Manager for Year 7

Mrs A Lang

Learning Manager for Year 8

Key Stage 4 & GCSE

Pupils are in Key Stage 4 during Years 9 and 10 and 11. This is when they study for GCSEs.  In Year 11 they move into the Upper School.

Mr M Jones

Learning Manager for Year 9

Mr B Highsted

Learning Manager for Year 10

Details of all GCSE courses are given in a booklet distributed to Year 8 students just after Christmas. A copy of last year’s booklet is available on request. The courses available may not be the same from year to year. Also it may not be possible to run every course every year. It will depend on numbers of students wishing to study it and the availability of staff to teach it.

In total pupils usually study eleven GCSEs based upon the following structure which ensures all students at MGS complete the English Baccalaureate:

• English Language and English Literature (2 GCSEs)
  • Mathematics. Gifted Mathematicians may also study a qualification beyond standard GCSE.
  • Biology, Chemistry and Physics as GCSEs in Double Combined Science (2 GCSEs).
  • A Modern Foreign Language
  • Religious Studies
  • History or Geography (a Humanity option)

Pupils also select three of the following options:

• A third Science (making separate GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics), A second
  •  Modern Language,
  •  Art,
  • Classical Civilisation,
  • Geography,
  • Design Technology,
  • History,
  • Latin,
  • Media Studies,
  • Physical Education,
  • Design Technology (either Electronic Products or Resistant Materials).

One of these options must be from a subject outside of the English Baccalaureate structure of subjects to ensure breadth and balance in each student’s curriculum.

In addition pupils will also take compulsory courses in PE and Games, and Personal Development and Citizenship.

In addition to being Head of Upper School, the Deputy Headmaster, Mr P Smith, is responsible for teaching and learning and the curriculum across the whole school . He works closely with Heads of Subject Departments who are responsible for teaching and learning in a particular subject.

In addition to being Head of Lower School, The Deputy Headteacher, Mrs J Sewell, is charged with providing a safe, compassionate environment for the effective development of all of our students and to provide support for individuals where needed, liaising with outside agencies if appropriate.

• "My son was skipping and jumping through the halls, and his excitement to show off his school and his lessons was very heart warming. He comes home daily with happy stories about his day at school. He has doubled in confidence and has taken on much more responsibility for himself in such a very short time." - A New Year 7 parent
  • "I'd like to send a quick note on behalf of my son, who attended the Brazil fair (Year 6 outreach event) yesterday. He had a great time and was so excited when he came home and couldn't stop talking about the amazing things that he did whilst at the school. Thank you so much to you and all the boys from MGS who helped make the afternoon such a success. " - Parent of a year 6 student
  • "My husband and I wanted to send a message to say how very impressed we were with our guide on Thursday evening and what a wonderful ambassador he was for your school. His manners were impeccable and he conversed confidently and informatively with us both. In addition, he engaged our 9 year old without patronizing him made his visit fun and insightful. Jack greatly contributed to our first impression of Maidstone Grammar School being such an overwhelmingly positive experience." - A visiting prospective parent
  • "Students’ achievement is outstanding, both in their academic programmes and their personal development." - Ofsted (2013)
  • "My son is in year 7 and was struggling with 2 heavy musical instruments, a school bag, his diabetes bag and his lunch bag this morning and I saw 2 sixth formers rush over to help him carry his bags. I just want to register my thanks." - Parents of a new year 7 student
  • "There is not a week which goes by even now without me thinking of the school with gratitude, and of its teachers who never gave up on me and allowed me a chance in life. " - Words from an Old Maidstonian
  • "The sixth form is outstanding. Students’ above average attainment at the higher grades in AS and A level equip them exceptionally well for higher education and careers of their choice." - Ofsted (2013)